It begins

I'm capitulating tonight. There is too much to do and I am not up for Bishop Berkeley. I think it was around here:
Phil. Aye, but here lies the difference. Men commonly believe that all things are known or perceived by God, because they believe the being of a God; whereas I, on the other side, immediately and necessarily conclude the being of a God, because all sensible things must be perceived by Him.
that my eyes started to swim. And this:
Phil. I do not understand how our ideas, which are things altogether passive and inert, can be the essence, or any part (or like any part) of the essence or substance of God, who is an impassive, indivisible, pure, active being. Many more difficulties and objections there are which occur at first view against this hypothesis; but I shall only add that it is liable to all the absurdities of the common hypothesis, in making a created world exist otherwise than in the mind of a Spirit.
sealed the deal. I capitulate. Tomorrow is another day, and hopefully one with less philosophy in it.

No comments: